Monday, February 20, 2006

For My Own Inspiration

In your future career, would you like to:
*Work with children and young adults
*Reach out to diverse communities
*Share your love of books
*Keep up with the latest technology
*Develop leadership, organizational, and decision-making skills
*Use your dramatic and artistic talents
*Bring positive change to individuals, families, schools, and neighborhoods

*Most of all, do you want work to be challenging, surprising, and fun?
Consider becoming a librarian who serves children and young adults.

What do librarians who serve children and young adults do? They . . .
*Empower and motivate young people
*Promote and nurture the habit of reading
*Introduce students to the latest electronic resources
*Collaborate with other educators
*Build programs to link the library to community groups
*Choose resources to enhance the library collection
*Provide parenting education and family literacy programs
*Design and provide engaging activities that help young people develop their creativity, interests, and talents

A librarian who serves children and young adults helps young people discover themselves!

From: www.ala.org

I have heard a piece of advice common among motivational speakers that says if you have a dream or aspiration you should write it down and put it somewhere you can look at it. They say it makes it more tangible and there's some crazy percentage of people who do this that actually achieve what they write. So, this is me, writing it down.

6 comments:

Wesley Son of Cornelius said...

Go for it! I could see you as a librarian.

Joe Napalm said...

Hair, you mean because you can see her inspiring young minds to dive into books? Or do you mean you could see her with little half glasses, hair in a bun, and cracking kids on the knuckles with a ruler because they don't understand the Dewey Decimal System?

A Magic Bean Buyer said...

Ha ha! Maybe a little of both?

Anonymous said...

I was reading that and thinking, I want to do all that! But, then I thought of our school librarian, and of all the overwhelming organizing she does with book fairs and cataloguing what looks like a million books. I would get lost in all of the organizing issues. I can teach someone "this goes goes here, this goes goes there," but I get bogged down if I have to do it. I am so excited that you have a dream! Go for it! (But, don't go too far away, okay?)

A Magic Bean Buyer said...

Is Columbia, SC too far away?

Jama said...

I suppose I can live with Columbia, S.C. That is within the "radius."